You can join POLAR for a simple annual registration fee of just £10.
To apply online, complete the form at the bottom of this page. To apply by post, print out and complete this application form and send it to:
POLAR Applications, Chargemaster Plc, Mulberry House, 750 Capability Green, Luton, Bedfordshire LU1 3IU.
* See full Terms and Conditions below
POLAR is a membership scheme which, for an annual registration fee of just £10, provides free access to the country’s national charging network - but another key benefit of owning an electric car is that you can also 'refuel' it at home.
If you live in selected areas of the country, there are two options: 13amp domestic, or faster charge through a free intelligent Homecharge-i charging unit.
Option 1: 13amp domestic
Your car is supplied with a cable that plugs into a standard 13amp domestic socket (subject to your home supply having satisfactory wiring and earthing standards). In this case, the box built into the cable restricts the current drawn to 10amps. Using this, you can recharge a Nissan Leaf in about 10 hours.
Option 2: Faster charge by Homecharge-i
Using a Nissan-recommended Homecharging Unit, this solution has a number of benefits.
convenience: there's a built-in tethered cable so you don't need to get the cable out of the car boot
speed: you're charging at up to 16amps rather than 10amps
purpose-built: this option comes with a free wiring survey and installation by a fully qualified British Gas-trained technician, plus a built-in RCD and overcurrent protection, ensuring your car and house are fully protected.
free webpage and i-phone app showing your daily and monthly usage, plus your carbon and costs savings
Please complete and submit this form to check on your eligibility for a Homecharge-i charging unit.
Public EV charging through POLAR is as easy as 1-2-3. The POLAR membership scheme provides national access to our network of over 1,500 public charging bays around the country – all from one simple signup. As a member, you'll receive a monthly update of new sites. You can use the special webpage and iPhone app to locate and then navigate you to the best charging post.
The POLAR network, which is growing every month, is comprised of standard charging points that you can use with your Nissan Leaf, plus rapid-charge units that will charge your Leaf in less than 30 minutes.
POLAR charging units are installed both as posts and as wall units, typically in multi-storey car parks. Their operation is identical and very straightforward. You're provided with a POLAR RFID card which gives you access to each unit. Here's how the charging process works.
• ensure the post is active (the blue lights will be illuminated)
• plug your charging cable into your vehicle
• following simple on-screen instructions, place your POLAR card over the target area above the screen, and select the right socket
• put the plug into the socket and firmly shut the post 'door'
• the lights will turn green, indicating charging has started
• to stop charging, place your POLAR card over the target area again to open the post door
• unplug the cable and shut the door
Quick Charge Unit (Rapid Charging)
POLAR is installing a number of Quick Charge (QC) charging units across the country. As a member, you will be advised by email of their locations as they roll out. They enable you to charge up to around 80% of the battery capacity in less than 30 minutes.
To access these, you don't need your POLAR RFID card. Just park in the charging bay, take the charging gun out of its holder on the QC unit and secure it in the left-hand charging socket under the access flap at the front of your Leaf.
Once the gun has clicked securely in place, go to the touch screen on the front of the QC Unit and start the process by touching the screen and following the instructions. After that, press the Start button and the charging will start. Charging will stop automatically when the car has taken the appropriate amount of charge.
POLAR also gives you access to a range of specialist EV tariffs from leading electricity suppliers, as well as a range of discounts on parking, hotels, roadside restaurants and much more.
Online application to join POLAR
POLAR Membership Service and Supply Terms and Conditions
When you sign the application form you accept the terms and conditions of the POLAR membership agreement between you and Chargemaster Plc (the Company) as stated below:
1. The following services and supply of products in your residential premises will be provided by your membership of the POLAR scheme:
- A free home charger suitability survey;
- Free Standard Installation (as defined below) of a Homecharge-i unit (subject to your home’s suitability, as determined by the engineer selected to perform your survey);
- Free* access and usage to the POLAR public network until December 31st 2013; and
- Free access to the Plugged in Places network until the end of March 2013**
- Free access to Chargevision account management.
2. Your application will be considered by the Company and if accepted you will be notified in writing.
3. Once membership has been accepted by the Company you will be provided with a Membership RFID Card that provides access to charging points operated by the company and by Plugged in Places Schemes that Chargemaster has negotiated interoperability. This card remains the property of the Company and must be surrendered on demand.
4. As part of the membership the Company may supply a Homecharge-i unit to you. Upon installation ownership of the unit will be transferred to you. It will be installed by British Gas Trading Ltd (British Gas) and by signing the application form you give consent for the unit to be installed at your home and to the Company to provide British Gas with all details supplied on your application form and also ongoing usage information derived from data collected from the Homecharge unit.
5. In the event the installation of the Homecharge-i unit is regarded by British Gas as a non-Standard Installation the Company and British Gas reserve the right to ask you to pay a contribution to meet the additional cost.
6. You agree only to use the Homecharge-i unit for charging an electric car at your residential premises and for no other purpose. The Homecharge-i unit is warrantied for 3 years and the installation for 12 months.
3years warranty on the charger
Chargemaster products, including all components and accessories shall be fully guaranteed against all defects arising from faults in design, manufacture and workmanship for a period of 36 months from delivery of unit/s. Anything else is excluded. Applies to Mainland UK only.
1 year warranty on parts & labour
British Gas guarantees all parts and labour for 12 months from the date of any repair/fitting. Any guarantees do not affect your legal rights under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. You can get advice about your rights from a Citizens Advice Bureau or Trading Standards Department.”
Standard Installation – where British Gas is able to install your home charging solution without having to undertake any additional repair work or replace anything on your property. For the avoidance of doubt, Standard Installation includes the following:
- The Homecharge-i unit
- The cabling (4mm, twin & earth up to 43 meters) used to install the Homecharge-i unit to and sufficient conduit
- Henley block
- Sub board
- Type A residual circuit device – 63 amp, 30 milliamp
- Miniature 20 amp circuit breaker type C
- Double pole isolator
- Switch with patrees
- Earth electrode with cover and clamp
- Engineer’s time to install device, including travel – total 6.5 hrs
*7a. Usage of publically available POLAR charging points. At all times you agree to use the charging points in accordance with instructions provided and also those displayed on the site. At all times you agree to operate the charging point in accordance with best safety codes of practice. You must not use the charging points for any purpose other than charging the electric car listed by you on the application form. You agree to pay any parking or other charges as stated by the site owners. The POLAR membership allows free* access and usage of POLAR public network. Chargemaster reserve the right to review this pricing structure on an individual basis with 30 days’ notice.
**7b. Free of charge subject to completion of application forms and agreeing to terms & conditions relevant to individual Plugged in Places schemes. The individual terms & conditions can be referred to at the following website addresses:
http://pim.pod-point.net/terms-conditions/ - Plugged-in Midlands
http://www.sourceeast.net/images/SourceEastTCs.pdf - Source East
https://www.sourcelondon.net/membership-terms-and-conditions - Source London
http://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/mkparking/documents/Home_Charge_Unit.pdf - Page 5 - Milton Keynes
8. In signing the agreement you confirm that you are the owner or user of the electric car specified on the application form.
9. The Company will use reasonable endeavours to maintain properly all charging stations but will not be liable for any consequential loss arising from a failure to charge by either the Homecharge-i unit or publically available charging units.
10. The Company may notify you from time to time with regard to any increases in rates or changes in these Terms and Conditions.
11. You are required to use reasonable endeavours to facilitate that the Homecharge-i unit can continue to report usage data for three years from date of installation.
12. From 1st January 2014 a range of tariffs will apply for access to the POLAR charging network and you will be given the option to accept these or let your membership lapse.
13. The Company may decline an application at its sole discretion. It may terminate this agreement without notice in the event of breach by you of the terms of this agreement. It may withdraw any offers without notice.
14. In the event that you lose or damage a POLAR membership card then a replacement may be requested from the Company at a cost of £8.00.
15. This agreement is personal to you and may not be assigned. Any membership cards may only be used by you or the user of the car stated on the membership application form.
16. Data protection. You agree that the Company may use any information you have given or is derived from use of the Homecharge-i unit. If you breach this agreement we can give this information to credit reference agencies, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), debt collectors and any other relevant organisation. You also agree that we can pass your information on to our contractors and partners including British Gas and Office of Low Emission vehicles (OLEV) for any purpose permitted by the Data Protection Act 1998.You also specifically agree that we may share your personal information including usage information with site owners, British Gas, government and government agencies including Plugged in Places organisations
17. These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales. Any dispute between the parties relating to these Terms and Conditions shall fall within the jurisdiction of the courts of England and Wales.
Chargemaster Plc, Mulberry House, 750 Capability Green, Luton LU1 3LU Doc. 112/3